John H. Ashbaugh

Serve on the Seas or Overseas
Lieutenant John H. Ashbaugh, Jr., has arrived safely in England, according to word received by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. John H. Ashbaugh of this city.

Lieutenant Ashbaugh enlisted in Battery C, 120th Field Artillery, 32nd Division on July 3, 1940.

He was transferred to the Signal Corps on August 25, 1942 and commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the Signal Corps on April 24, 1943, after an extended course in electronics and radar at Fort Monmouth, NJ.

He is now attached as Signal Officer with an Engineers Light Equipment Company.

Lieutenant John H. Ashbaugh, son of Mr. and Mrs. John H. Ashbaugh, 223 Hudson Street, who landed in Normandy with the Army Engineers on June 7, 1944, has been promoted from Second Lieutenant to First Lieutenant, according to word received by his parents.

Lieutenant Ashbaugh, graduate of Campion Military Academy in 1939 and who spent one year in training at Camp Livingston, LA with the Chippewa Falls National Guard Field Artillery Unit, was commissioned in the Signal Corps on April 25, 1943. 

He arrived in England last March and was, there, transferred to the Corps of Engineers and assigned to duty at Communications Officers Training School at Fort Monmouth, NJ. 

Lieutenant Ashbaugh's experiences in France, as revealed in letters to his parents, have varied between front line operations, where the Corps operated under enemy fire, and other duties, during which he has seen a large share of northern France and parts of Belgium.

Lieutenant John Ashbaugh, Jr., is spending a 10-day leave visiting his parents, 223 Hudson Street. He will return to his post on Friday.

Submitted by Tim Dowling

Here is John Ashbaugh's (my dad's first cousin) family page on rootsweb:

Written by Harold (Diz) Kronenberg

John Ashbaugh joined the Army in 1940 and served in the 32nd Red Arrow Division until chosen to go to Officer's Candidate School. He graduated as a Second Lieutenant from the Army Engineer's School in Monmouth, New Jersey and, after some additional training, was sent to the European Theater of Operations. He served with the 1110 Engineer Combat Group as they went through Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes, and Central Europe. 

After the war, the now First Lieutenant Ashbaugh stayed in the National Guard, where he was promoted to the rank of Captain. He resigned his commission in 1950 and left the service. 

John owned and operated the Ashbaugh Printing Company for many years. His father, John senior, was a blocking back for the legendary Jim Thorpe on the Rock Island Independents Football Team. This was 1922, the first year of the National Football League. 

John has been, and still is, an active member of Hillcrest Golf Club and Country Club.