Norman E. Boehlke

Private First Class Norman E. Boehlke of the Marine Corps has returned to Camp Elliot, San Diego, CA, after visiting his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Boehlke, 616 Whipple Street.

Norman Boehlke Is Killed in Action in Pacific Area
Norman Boehlke, son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Boehlke, 616 Whipple Street, has been killed in action, according to word just received by his parents. Norman was a Private First Class with the U.S. Marines on Guadalcanal. The last letter his parents had from him was dated October 18.

Private Boehlke was 26 years old last July. He was born in Eau Claire and graduated from the Eau Claire High School. Before entering the service, he was employed by the Firestone Tire and Rubber Company here. 

He enlisted in the Marines January 5 of last year and received his training at the San Diego Naval Base. He left the United States June 30. 

Besides his parents, surviving are a brother, Sergeant Robert Boehlke, who enlisted in the Air Corps July 28 and is in training in Texas, and a sister, Mrs. Harold Smith, of this city.

Eleva Tarawa Survivor Has Brother Serving In Italy
Private First Class Marshall R. Perham, U.S. Marine Corps, son of William M. Perham, Route 3, Eleva, and Mrs. E. L. Riedell, Evanston, IL is at the San Diego Base Hospital, recovering from wounds received in the recent Battle of Tarawa. He has spent 18 months in the South Pacific area. One leg, one arm, and one eye are injured but, according to a letter received by his father, the eye will be perfectly healed in a reasonable length of time.

Private First Class Perham participated in the entire Guadalcanal Campaign and was with Sergeant Norman Boehlke of Eau Claire when he was killed.

His father received a long distance call from him on Christmas Eve. He said his best buddy was killed at his side as they braved Japanese fire at Tarawa. He also remarked, in a letter received Monday by his father, that the newspaper accounts of the battle were true but that the actual battle was indescribable.

Private First Class Perham enlisted in the Marine Corps in March 1942 and went overseas in July 1942. He received his training at San Diego and Camp Elliott, CA.

In a letter written to his father from a rest area, presumably some where in New Zealand, he said that the people there, where he served with the Military Police for several months, treated the boys exceptionally well and that, at one small port town where they spent their leaves, the civilians "made us feel quite at home." 

His brother, Private James Perham, U.S. Army, is with the Paratroopers in Italy. He enlisted in April 1942 and received his training at Fort Bragg, NC and Fort Benning, GA. After taking a special course at the Army College in Washington, DC, he was sent overseas. 

In a letter to his father, he describes the landing in Italy. "As we came over the designated target, we received the order to 'bail out.' The flak was flying all around us. We had to jump right in the midst of it. Boy, I never made my chute come down so fast before. 

"I made a quite perfect landing, cut myself loose from the harness, and made connections with my buddies."  

No word has been received from him since that letter.

Hold Memorial Services for N. Boehlke Sunday
Memorial services for Norman E. Boehlke will be held Sunday at 10 am at St. John's Lutheran Church, the Rev. George H. Vollmer officiating. 

Boehlke was born July 22, 1916, and gave his life in service of his country, being killed in action on Guadalcanal October 25, 1942. He was a member of the US Marine Corps. 

Norman was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Boehlke, 616 Whipple Street.

Parents Receive Purple Heart Given Their Son, PFC Boehlke
Mr. and Mrs. Henry O. Boehlke, 616 Whipple St., have received, from the Commandant of the US Marine Corps, the Purple Heart, which was awarded posthumously to their son, Private First Class Norman E. Boehlke, for gallantry in action against the enemy in the Solomon Islands. 

Private First Class Norman Boehlke was killed in action in the South Pacific last October 12. He entered the service on January 5, 1942, and trained at San Diego. On June 30, he left for overseas