Clayton H. Card, Jr.

Eau Claire Boy Tells of Life in New Guinea
Private Clayton Card, Jr., has arrived in New Guinea, according to word received here. He is associated with the Army Engineers. 

Entering the service in June 1943, he received his training at Camp McCoy, Camp Ellis and the Granite City Engineering Depot.

The following letter was received by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Card, 309 Central Street. It is dated June 9, 1944. 

"Dear Mother and Dad, 

"I finally got situated so now I can get back to the habit of letter writing. I am satisfied with living in a tent and am getting accustomed to the climate. Our cooks have set up a field kitchen and we are eating very good. The food is mostly Australiano, packed corned beef from Argentina."

He mentioned that, that day he had the first fried eggs in months.

"The money here is entirely Australian, so as yet I'm still at the mercy of the natives. Yesterday I hitch-hiked 12 miles to the bay and had my U.S. currency exchanged into Australian. From the finance office, I went to the Red Cross canteen and had my first ice cold drink in 31 days. We will get paid in Aussie money. A sixpence is 8 cents; a shilling is 16 cents; a florin is 32 cents; a half pound is $1.60; and a pound is $3.26. They say a pound a month suffices here. 

"The mail thus far hasn't caught up with us. We have had few communications with the United States other than short wave bulletins for over a month. 

"Eligibility for furloughs is six months or more on the islands. Sidney is the place most go. We have 14 days plus traveling time for the trip. The only requirement is $150 for expenses. 

"I hope everything is going as usual.

"Love,  CLAYTON "

Eau Claire Soldier Dead in New Guinea, Parents Advised
Notification of the death of their only son, Private Clayton H. Card, Jr., in New Guinea on March 6, was received Friday night by the parents, Mr. and Mrs. Clayton Card, Sr., 309 Central Street.

No details were given in the telegram as to the manner of Private Card's death. The parents had received a letter from him a few days ago, dated March 3, three days before his death, in which he said that everything was all right and that there was no, or little, prospect of any developments out of the ordinary or fraught with any danger.

Private Card, who attended school here and was a graduate of the senior high school, was with the Army Engineers. He entered the service in June 1943, receiving his training at Camp McCoy, Camp Ellis, and the Granite City Engineering Depot. He went to the South Pacific in June 1944.