Arthur Carrol

Eau Claire Man Helps Wipe Out Two Nazi Nests
The most exciting incident in the eventful combat history of Private Joseph Price's company came when the unit was burned out of two houses in Freyhouse, France, according to a dispatch from the Infantry division in Germany.

Private Price's company fought from July 11, 1944 to the present across France, in Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, and again in France and Germany.   

Private Price is the son of George Price, 420 1/2 North Michigan Street. His wife lives at 520 North Michigan Street. He entered the service on September 9, 1942 and trained at Camp Wolters, TX; San Luis Obispo, CA; Camp Rucker, AL;  in the Tennessee maneuvers; and at Camp Butner, NC, before going overseas in May 1944.

He has a brother, Private Arthur Carrol, in the service in Germany.

At Freyhouse, the men broke through a line of machine guns, capturing two nests. They got a toe-hold in the first house; jumped to the second house, where flames forced them out, and fought their way back to the first house. The Germans surrounded the first house with five machine guns and three rocket launchers. 

The company men held the house all day and night. The next morning, they rejected an offer to surrender and got burned out once more. This time they left only a few seconds before the house collapsed. 

Almost simultaneously, a Yank tank destroyer appeared on the scene. Firing tracers at the Nazi machine gun positions, the Infantrymen guided the TD gunner, who systematically knocked out four enemy guns by direct fire and made the others surrender. Then, with the  aid of another company, the men drove the Germans out of the town.

Company reinforcements recently carried on the tradition originated by the "old men," when they divided  a German patrol of six men into three parts: two killed, two wounded, two captured.

The next night a German patrol of 21 men moved toward the men's position. They were allowed to approach to within 50 yards and then the company men broke loose with their rifles, to give their own men time to pick up their wounded, and then fled under cover of darkness.