|E. A. Eddiegorde|
|Eau Claire Man Head of Navy Supply Corps at Pearl Harbor|
|Captain E. A. Eddiegorde, Supply Corps, U.S. Navy, arrived at
Pearl Harbor on May 4, 1943 to relieve Captain H. M. Shaffer, Supply
Corps, U.S. Navy.
Born in Eau Claire, Captain Eddiegorde has two sisters living here, Mrs. John Gunn and Mrs. William Steffenson.
His first duty at Pearl Harbor was as Executive Officer and then Acting Supply Officer in Command of the Naval Supply Depot. On August 1, 1943, he relieved Rear Admiral J. J. Gaffney as Supply Officer in Command of the Depot.
Captain Eddiegorde entered the Navy in 1912 as an Apprentice Seaman and was first commissioned an Ensign in the Naval Reserve in November 1918. During the last World War, he served aboard the USS San Diego and was a survivor when the ship was sunk in July 1918. In 1921, he received his permanent commission in the Supply Corps Service
Service in Far East
He was Officer-in-Charge of the Navy Supply Corps School at Georgetown University and, later, at the National University and the Navy Medical Center.
Organized Supply Schools
From August 1941, until he was assigned to Pearl Harbor, he was Senior Assistant Supply Officer at Portsmouth, NH.
In a message to those working under him, Captain Eddiegorde says, "Loyalty is the material from which cooperation and coordination must be constructed. The tools are industry, knowledge and initiative.
"If there is loyalty down, there can be no doubt of loyalty up. If every person will subject himself to rigid self-discipline, practice forbearance and consideration to the best he or she is able to do, there will be no need for orders or prohibitions, and instructions may be issued only to form a basis for unification of effort."