Eugene Giles

Made Ensign
Eugene Giles, son of Mrs. Orra Giles, 822 1/2 Sixth Avenue, has received a commission as Ensign in the Naval Air Corps, being promoted from the rank of Warrant Officer. He is stationed at Brooklyn.

His wife, the former Betty Scobie, and their son arrived Wednesday night for an extended visit with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. R. W. Scobie, 2114 State Street, and other relatives.

Ensign Giles enlisted in the Navy on October 15, 1935 and worked his way up through the ranks. He served as a radio man on the aircraft tender Wright and with a squadron at San Diego, before being sent to Pensacola, FL for flight training. He received his wings in December 1938.

For some time, he has been serving as a pilot in the Naval Ferry Command.

Lt. O. E. Giles, son of Mrs. Orra Giles, 822 Sixth Avenue, has been promoted from Lieutenant junior grade to Lieutenant in the Navy Air Corps. 

Lieutenant Giles, who enlisted in the Navy on October 15, 1935, won his Wings in 1939, and successive promotions, is now serving with the Navy Ferry Command and is located in Brooklyn. 

His wife, the former Bettie Scobie, and their two sons reside in Brooklyn. 

Lieutenant Giles has made flights to Alaska, Hawaii, and South American ports and has seen extensive service as test pilot.

Mrs. Orra Giles has two other sons in service, Private Paul R. Giles, with the Field Artillery at Fort Bragg, NC and John Dudley Giles, Seaman Second Class, in training as Navy Crewman at Jacksonville, FL.

Gene Giles by Harold (Diz) Kronenberg

Gene Giles first entered the Navy at Great Lakes, Illinois, in 1935, where he received his basic training. After basic training, he was sent to San Diego, CA to attend radioman's school. Upon graduation, he was given his first fleet assignment aboard the USS Wright, as a radio striker.  After being transferred to Patrol Squadron VP-9, he applied for admission to the Navy's flight school and was accepted. He successfully completed a vigorous pre-flight, basic, and advanced training program and, in December 1938, he received his wings as a pilot in the US Navy.

His first duty as a pilot was to report to San Diego, where he was assigned to Patrol Squadron 9, all set to go on a training cruise in the Caribbean.

After two years of routine duty, he was assigned to shore service as an instructor at Corry Field, Pensacola, Florida. While on this assignment, recruiters came through the area, requesting volunteer pilots to fly with the Flying Tigers in the China-Burma Theater of Operations. A few volunteered, including the legendary Pappy Boyington.

After the attack on Pearl Harbor, Lt. Giles spent most of his service time testing planes and delivering them to the Pacific Fleet. The delivery unit that he served in later became known as the Ferry Command. 

After several short duty assignments, Lt. Giles was placed aboard the USS White Plains and was responsible for hauling new planes to the South Pacific and bringing back damaged ones for repair work.

Lt. Giles served in many other naval assignments before the war ended. He chose to stay in the Navy for several more years, before resigning from service in May 1950.