John W. Gorell

John W. Gorell, Machinist's Mate Third Class, has arrived in New Guinea with the Seabees, according to word received by is brother, Frank Gorell, 651 Wisconsin Street.

He entered the Construction Battalion on June 14, 1943 and received his training at Camp Peary, VA and Port Huenemne, CA.

Private Edward Gorell is serving somewhere overseas, according to word received by his wife, Mrs. Ione Gorell, who resides at 220 East Madison Street.

He entered the service on November 30, 1942 and received his training at Camp Claiborne, LA.

He has a brother, John W. Gorell, Machinist's Mate Third Class, serving in the New Guinea area.

John W. Gorell, stationed with the Seabees in New Guinea, has been promoted from Machinist's Mate Third Class to Boatswain's Mate Second Class, according to word just received by his brother, Frank Gorell, of this city.

Another brother, Private First Class Edward H. Gorell, is serving with the Railroad Battalion in India.

Four Eau Claire Seabees on Duty in Philippines
Four former Eau Claire residents were among the first Seabees to land in the Philippine Islands shortly after General MacArthur’s forces invaded the island of Leyte in October.

They are B. J. Watts, Machinist's Mate Second Class, 249 Main Street; E. G. Dachel, Electrician's Mate First Class, 215 Bellinger Street; J. C. Gorrel, Boatswain's Mate Second Class; and Wayne Nimsger, Electrician's Mate Second Class, Forest Street.  All four men have been members of the 105th Naval Construction Battalion for 18 months and had previously seen 10 months of overseas service in New Guinea, before moving on to the Philippines.

Four days after General MacArthur’s troops landed in Leyte, Seabees of the 105th Battalion, with Commander A. J. Mackay, Officer in Charge, were already ashore and busily engaged in unloading supplies and equipment under enemy fire and bombing attacks. The 105th was the first of several battalions ashore and the first Seabees ever to set foot on Philippine soil.

When the battalion landed, there were still Japs on the projected campsite of the Seabees. By the following day, the enemy had been driven off and, when the 105th moved into camp later that same afternoon, the Japs were still but 600 yards away. 

The battalion lived up to the Seabees’ reputation for, almost immediately after landing, they were at work on roads, warehouses, and installations to build the newly-won base up to maximum strength and efficiency for future American blows against the enemy.  

John Gorell, U.S. Navy Seabees, of Eau Claire, is recuperating in a hospital in New Guinea, after taking part in the invasion of the Philippines.