Orville A. Johnson

Took Part in Five Major Battles Against the Japs
Orville A. Johnson, United States Marines, who is visiting his parents, Mr. and Mrs. David A. Johnson, Forest Street, while on sick leave, has seen and experienced a lot in the way of fighting since he enlisted in the Marines on November17, 1941. 

He has taken part in five major battles, including Midway, and later the Battle of Congo Point, November 30, 1942 on Guadalcanal, which he said was the hottest and most exciting of those in which he took part. Outside of Midway, all the fighting he participated in was in the Solomon Islands area.  

The Battle of Longo Point, he said, took place at night, when the Japanese tried to land troops and supplies to help out their forces on Guadalcanal. It was, he said, a naval engagement in which the Japanese lost a cruiser, a destroyer, transport and cargo ships, and others damaged, not to mention the great numbers of troops lost trying to land under fire. The American fleet lost one warship, a cruiser, in the battle, which lasted two exciting hours. 

Johnson said that the American fleet moved in under cover of darkness on the Jap flotilla, as it neared its destination and, first, illuminating miles of sea by sending up star shells, opened up with big guns on the warships, cargo ships, and everything the Japs had. He said the first big salvo, from the warship on which his Marine detachment was, struck the bridge of a big Jap cruiser. The second salvo set if afire and, shortly afterwards, it sank. 

The Jap attempt to land troops and supplies failed, he said, and what was left of the flotilla finally speeded away.

Eau Claire Marine in South Pacific
Private First Class Orville A. Johnson, United States Marine Corps, has seen some hard fighting recently in the South Pacific, he wrote his parents, Mr. and Mrs. David Johnson, 915 Fourth Street, under recent date, and enclosed with his letter the above picture of himself and 15 of his fellow Marines taken on some island in the South Pacific.

Private First Class Johnson is seen at the extreme left in the front row, in a crouching position.

Private First Class Johnson has been in the Marine Corps service since November 11, 1941 and has had some exciting experiences. He was on the destroyer New Orleans when it was torpedoed, coming out of that ordeal unscathed. He was home on furlough last June.