Howard (Chick) L. Kolstad

Studies Radar
Second Lieutenant Howard L. Kolstad left Monday for his Marine Corps base at Camp LaJune, NC, after visiting his parents, Mr. and Mrs. H. G. Kolstad, 117 Sixth Avenue.

Lieutenant Kolstad will remain there two or three weeks before going to Harvard College, Cambridge, MA for an advanced course in radar. Later, he will attend a radar technical school in Boston, MA.

He graduated from the Marine Corps Officers Training School at Quantico, VA and was commissioned a Second Lieutenant on August 25, 1943.

Mr. and Mrs. H. G. Kolstad have received word that their son, Captain Howard L. Kolstad, has been awarded his diploma at Harvard University from the School of Radar Engineering, graduating in alternating currents, electronics, and cathode-ray tubes. He is now attending the Massachusetts School of Technology at Boston, MA.

His brother, Captain Robert F. Kolstad, who has returned to the United States after being reported missing in action, is expected home this week.

Lieutenant Robert F. ("Hooker") Kolstad, U.S. Army Air Force, pilot of a "Fortress," was reported missing in action over Italy, after a bombing mission on January 31, according to a telegram received Tuesday by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Hadley G. Kolstad, 116 Sixth Avenue, from Washington, D. C. 

The shock of the news was somewhat mitigated today, when the parents learned that Captain Earl Lloyd Hammond, an Army Air Force pilot, just home from Italy, after completing his fiftieth bombing mission, had stated that he had heard of Lieutenant Kolstad being reported missing in action, before he left for home but that the report received there was that the crew of Kolstad's bomber had been seen bailing out after it was put out of combat and that probably the pilot and crew were prisoners of war. 

According to the last letter received from Lieutenant Kolstad by his parents, written under date of January 23, he only had three or four more missions to make before attaining his fiftieth and was already making plans to come home on leave.

According to a letter received by the parents, here, of  Technical Sergeant John D. Egan, in the same squadron as Lieutenant Kolstad, which was written under a later date, the latter had only two more missions to complete at that time in order to make his fiftieth. The mission, therefore, on which he was reported missing, it is presumed, was either the fiftieth or next to the fiftieth.

Lieutenant Kolstad, popularly known as "Hooker," was a graduate of St. Patrick's Grade and High School, here, and was in his last year at the State Teachers College, when he left with Company B, WNG, for Camp Livingston, LA in October 1941. Later, he transferred to the Army Air Service and was commissioned a Second Lieutenant in that service in January 1943. 

He then entered the fighter plane service and later was transferred to the bomber service and became a bomber pilot. He took part in the North African Campaign (Tunisia), in Sicily, and in Italy. 

He has a brother, Lieutenant Howard Kolstad, U.S. Marines, now studying radar at Harvard University. He also has a sister, Joan M. Kolstad, at home. 

Lieutenant Kolstad was acting captain and flight leader in his most recent missions.

'Hooker' Kolstad - man of many talents by Sports Editor Ron Buckli
A man of many talents, he is best remembered for his versatility on football game day.

"He would play the first half; then change uniforms and lead the band as drum major at halftime," recalled Howard "Chick" Kolstad. "Then he would change again and come out and play the second half."

Kolstad was speaking of younger brother Bob "Hooker" Kolstad, who carried the baton for the Blugold Football Team and the band in his collegiate days. 

Hooker followed Chick to what is now UW-Eau Claire from St. Patrick's High School in the late 1930s. 

Chick, who later coached at Regis High School and became legendary as a State Hall of Fame Coach, played from 1936 through 1938 and Hooker in 1938 and 1939. 

"He was a good halfback--primarily a football-basketball athlete,'' Chick said. "He also played some softball and, in later years, played a lot of golf." 

The Kolstads were city natives, growing up on the Westside. Chick, after retiring as football coach at St. Norbert College, lives in West DePere. In 1987, he was named a charter member of the Regis Athletic Hall of Fame. Hooker, a career serviceman, died March 20, at age 71, near San Antonio, Texas.

Hooker joined the National Guard in 1940 and was a top Sergeant when the 32nd Division was called to active duty in Louisiana at the outset of World War II. He played quarterback on the division football team and was named MVP.

He later served as a fighter-bomber pilot over Europe in the U.S. Army Air Corps. On one mission, he was shot down over Italy, escaped to Yugoslavia, and was freed through the underground there. During his escape, he spent 19 days in a cave with Marshall Tito, who later came to political power in Yugoslavia. 

After the war, Hooker was involved in the Bikini Atom Bomb Experiment. "He died of leukemia," Chick said, "and it is believed that he contacted it flying through a radioactive cloud during the bomb experiment." 

Hooker retired as a Lieutenant Colonel, got his Master's at the University of Wisconsin, and served 10 years as City Planner in Kenosha, before moving to the San Antonio area.

Chick was a highly successful coach at Mondovi and Regis, before taking the St. Norbert job in 1961. His Rambler teams were 63-20 in football and 105-50 in basketball. He took seven teams to the Catholic School State Basketball Tournament, and the 1952 team took the title. 

Although he retired from St. Norbert with a 91-51-5 record in the early 1980s, he remains active, helping son John, who is coach at Green Bay East. East ended Manitowoc's 35-game football winning streak last year and just missed gaining a berth in the WIAA state playoffs. 

St. Pat's was a two-year school when Chick attended. He spent his last two years at Eau Claire Senior High School, attracting attention as an outstanding athlete. Hooker spent all four years at St. Pat's, which had expanded by then. 

"He (Hooker) was a good guy," Chick said. "He was my brother--I'm just making a statement."

Robert Kolstad
SAN ANTONIO, Texas Robert F. Kolstad, 71, a former resident of Eau Claire, died Tuesday at Brooks Army Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio. 

He was born in Eau Claire and married Beverly Blanchard on June 6, 1944 in Chippewa Falls. He joined the National Guard in Eau Claire in 1940; later serving in the U.S. Army Air Corps. He retired in 1969 and later became the Director of City Planning in Kenosha. He retired from that job in 1979 and moved to a suburb of San Antonio. 

Survivors include his wife; two sons, James of Kansas City, MO and  Thomas of New York City; two daughters, Suzanne Donnell of Boliver, MO and Barbara Kolstad of Madison; a brother, Howard Kolstad of  West DePere; a sister, Joan Kolstad of Phoenix, AZ; and three grandchildren.

Services were held Thursday at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Church in Selma, Texas, with burial with full military honors at Fort Sam Houston Cemetery. 

The family prefers memorials to The Children's Fund, Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Selma, Texas, 78218.