- Entered the Merchant Marines in the Twin Cities (St. Paul and
Minneapolis) in 1943.
- Sent to New York, where he received his basic training.
- Gravitated to Baltimore, where he boarded a ship that traveled to
the Rock of Gibraltar, the Leaning Tower of Pisa, the beautiful Isle
of Capri, and a small town near Oran, in North Africa.
- Left Oran and returned to the USA.
- Assigned to another ship that crossed the Atlantic and sailed to
- Returned to the USA.
- Went by train to San Francisco; boarded still another ship that
took him to the Philippines.
- Returned to the USA and, because the war was coming to a close,
terminated his naval career.
Note: Hub was a
cook while in the Merchant Marines. I'm sure glad I was in the Air
Force, where our meals were half-way decent. I wonder what happened to
Hub's cooking skills?