Wayne Joseph Kronenberg

Sergeant Harold J. Kronenberg, son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Kronenberg, 637 Spring Street, has arrived somewhere in North Africa, according to word received by his parents.

He enlisted in the Air Corps as a gunner on October 19, 1942 and received his basic training at Jefferson Barracks, MO. He later attended the Las Vegas Gunnery School at Nevada, where he received his gunner's wings. Further training was received at MacDill Field, Tampa, FL; Dalbart, TX; Lowry Field, Denver, CO; and Pyote, TX.

Sergeant Kronenberg is now serving as a First Armorer and Gunner on a B-17.

He has two brothers serving overseas: Staff Sergeant Donald Kronenberg, in England, and Corporal Wayne Kronenberg, who has served two years in New Guinea.

10 Eau Claire Men Back from Action in South Pacific
Medical, Infantrymen on Furlough Here
Three Eau Claire Infantrymen have returned from 27 months service in the Southwest Pacific Theater of War Operations and six with 28 months service in the Medical Corps in that war zone. One soldier has returned from 24 months of service in the Transportation Corps there. The soldiers, who returned on the same troop transport, are spending 21-day furloughs here. 

Major John P. Ludwikoski, Infantry, is visiting his parents, Mr. and Mrs. August Grimm, 102 Vine Street. He left with the Wisconsin National Guard in October 1940. After receiving training at Camp Livingston, LA, he was sent to Australia. From Australia, he was transferred to New Guinea, where he participated in the Buna Campaign. After going back to Australia, he was again sent to New Guinea, from where he returned home.  

First Lieutenant James Young, son of Mr. and Mrs. J. V. Young, 210 Whipple Street, is visiting his wife and family here. Lieutenant Young entered the service in June 1938 as a Second Lieutenant and trained at Fort Warren, WY and other camps in the United States. In July 1943, he was sent to Australia as a Transportation Corps man. From there, he went to other bases in the Southwest Pacific, usually following up invasion forces.

Technical Sergeant Ralph Miller, son of Mrs. Lola Miller, 128 Chippewa Street, and Technician Fifth Grade Leonard Husebo, son of Mrs. Olin Husebo, 727 Churchill Street, have also returned from 27 months service in the Southwest Pacific. They both entered the Armed Forces in October 1940 with the National Guard and received training at Camp Livingston, LA. Sergeant  Miller was in the Infantry and Technician Fifth Grade Husebo was connected with a  Headquarters Company. They were together in Australia for several months. Sergeant Miller and Major Ludwikoski were in the same Infantry division. 

Corporal George Aldworth, son of Mr. and Mrs. Earl Aldworth, 1208 Cedar Street, is visiting his wife and parents. Technician Fourth Grade Edward Prueher, son of Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Prueher, 132 Broadway; Sergeant William Stelter, son of Mrs. Emily Stelter, 543 Starr Avenue; Sergeant Lyman Werner, son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry A. Werner, 508 Babcock Street; Staff Sergeant James Stensrud, son of John Stensrud, 413 Wisconsin Street; and Technician Fifth Grade Wayne Kronenberg, son of Frank Kronenberg, 635 Spring Street, are spending 21-day furloughs, here, after serving 28 months in the Medical Corps in the Southwest Pacific. 

Corporal Aldworth, Technician Fourth Grade Prueher, Technician Fifth Grade Kronenberg, and Sergeant Stensrud entered the service on April 9, 1941 and received their training at Camp Shelby, MS, after which they were sent overseas. Sergeant Stelter and Sergeant Werner were inducted on April 8, 1941 and also trained at Camp Shelby, MS. Corporal Aldworth, Sergeant Stelter, Technician Fourth Grade Prueher, and Sergeant Stensrud were located together, and the six men saw each other occasionally. They have been stationed at Australia, New Guinea, and New Britain.

All ten Eau Claire men wear American Defense Ribbons, signifying that they were in the Army before the war was declared on December 8, 1941.

Written by Harold (Diz) Kronenberg

Wayne Kronenberg, was in the Medical Corps, and spent three years in the South Pacific. Most of that time was spent in New Guinea, building hospitals and administering to the wounded. He loves to tell this story:

Occasionally, we were visited by the enemy, but our biggest problems were the weather and the many tropical diseases. Malaria, particularly, was a problem, and we did everything we could to limit the spread of the disease. We built outdoor latrines and, everyday, threw lime, some oil, and a little gasoline down the latrine holes. This was usually done in the early morning hours, before the men had a chance to use them. 

One morning, a little later than usual, we performed our duty ahead of the onslaught on the latrines. One of the first fellows to use " the two-holer" was an Australian soldier, who went to do " his duty" and to have a cigarette. When he finished with his smoke, he threw the lighted butt (no pun intended) down the hole. 

Immediately, there was a loud thump, and the Aussie came running out of the outhouse yelling, "You damn Yanks-- I'll get even!!!"  Apparently, the cigarette ignited with the gasoline and oil and exploded. Fortunately, he wasn't seriously hurt, but he had a hard time sitting down for awhile.

Natives of New Guinea. The United States government hired the natives to clear out the jungle. (Contributed by Charles Grossklaus whose father served in New Guinea with Wayne Kronenberg. "Woody" Christopher from Eau Claire also served in New Guinea at the same time)

Japanese emblems collected in the South Pacific by United States soldiers 

Military Chronology of Wayne Kronenberg, as compiled by his brother, Diz

  • Conscripted into the Army in 1940; one of the first to be drafted. Sworn into the service on the steps of the old courthouse on Barstow Street.
  • Took his physical in Milwaukee, passed the physical, boarded the suburban train, and traveled to Camp Grant, Illinois.
  • In March 1941, he was sent to Camp Shelby, Louisiana for maneuvers. 
  • In February 1942, Wayne traveled to New York, boarded a ship, and traveled through the Panama Canal and to Brisbane, Australia. 
  • Matriculated to Port Moresby, New Guinea; then to Milne Bay, New Guinea; then to Finchaven Bay, New Guinea. Attached to the the 32nd Red Arrow Division, Wayne was in the Medical Corps at all of these places  
  • Transferred to New Britain. Had a ruptured appendix, along with a serious bout with malaria. Mom received letters from a nurse telling her that Wayne was a "very sick soldier boy" and she was worried about him. 
  • Spent three months in the hospital in Milne Bay, recuperating. 
  • Left there, after waiting a week for a ship home. 
  • Arrived in San Francisco, traveled by train to Fort Sheridan, Illinois; then to Eau Claire.
  • After a substantial furlough, Wayne was sent to Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio, Texas.
    Sent to Fort Hamilton, New York for three and one half months.
  • Sent to Chicopee Falls, Massachusetts, where he worked in a rubber factory, as part of the war effort. He was still in the service.
  • Sent to Fort Sheridan, Illinois, where he was discharged.