Archie Louis Langworthy

Dies on South Pacific Island
WHITEHALL, WI (Special) Archie Louis Langworthy, 34, Chief Specialist, Athletic Instructor with the United States Naval Reserve, stationed somewhere in the South Pacific Islands, died August 30, as a result of hemorrhage while in the performance of his duty in the service it his country, according to a telegram received Thursday by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. R. R. Langworthy, from the War Department.  He was an only son. 

Archie was born on March 5, 1910 in St. Paul, MN. He was six years old when the family moved to Whitehall. After graduating from Whitehall High School, he studied at the Art Institute in Chicago for two years. Following that, he toured the Middle West for about two year, taking portraits, his mother traveling with him as solicitor.

Then he invented a washer for leaky faucets, had it patented, and went on the road, selling that for two or three years. Then he settled in Des Moines, Iowa where he first worked for photographers and then established his own gallery and did a large business. 

He won a number of prizes, including First Prize at an Art Institute exhibit at the Stevens Hotel in Chicago, where 2700 photographs were shown. His photos also won praise of movie producers in making screen test selections. He also made some oil paintings and many of his friends have copies of his work.

He closed his business in Des Moines and enlisted in the Navy in November 1942 with the rating of First Class Petty Officer. He left for New Caledonia in May 1943 and had been stationed at Pacific bases since then, being advanced to Chief Specialist last June. Besides being an Athletic Instructor, he served as aerial photographer and, in addition, organized bands at bases where he was stationed.

He is survived by his parents and one sister, Mrs. Pearl Winchester of Chicago.

Langworthy was the first Whitehall boy actually reported dead in a war zone.  Whitehall has one previous casualty, however, Sergeant Harold Stendahl, who was killed in a gun accident in a Pennsylvania Camp in September 1942.