Harry W. Lusk

Eau Claire Army Captain Tells of Mad Jap Charge
Stanley Sergeant Hero of Break Through
A BATTALION OUTPOST, AITAPE, DUTCH NEW GUINEA, August 10 (Delayed) (AP)—Japanese forces trapped at Wewak attacked a few days ago in such terrific strength that they smashed into the center of the Americans' Driniumor River line, virtually isolating twoYank battalions. 

The Yanks finally escaped by fighting down the Anamo Trail, the sole escape avenue. It was bitter and bloody, and the losses were pretty bad. 

Afterward, when that ground was retaken and the bodies counted, old GI Joe was a Big Leaguer compared to the Japanese. One American company killed the enemy at a ratio of 15 to 1. 

Although the Americans were trapped and were fighting to free themselves, several Japanese came in, waving white flags. Tank destroyers fumbled through the jungle, were led to Japanese gun emplacements by scouts, and shot them up. 

Heroes came in job lots. There was Lieutenant Fred J. Seiter of Utica, NY. He saw one of his men felled by an enemy sniper. Spitting contemptuously between his teeth, he strode forward and carried the man 60 exposed yards to safety, as the sniper peppered away. 

The Japanese used all their tricks. There were "banzai" charges. Sometimes they charged to the blast of a bugle. 

"They always massed behind a small front, a couple of hundred yards, and attacked in waves until every last one of them had been used," said Captain Harry Lusk, Eau Claire, WI. 

"They don't care a damn about losses. What makes it so tough, they usually kept coming until all forward outfits were out of ammo." 

There were night snoopers. Some came laden with dynamite, trying to blast artillery. None succeeded, and all were killed. 

Stanley Man a Hero 
U.S. BATTALION OUTPOST, DRINIUMOR FRONT, NEW GUINEA, August 10 (Delayed) (AP)—This American battalion was cut off and everybody knew it. The lone avenue of retreat—the Anamo Trail—was blocked by Japanese soldiers.

Technical Sergeant Carroll Booth of Stanley, WI led the forward platoon of the assault company which spearheaded the battalion's effort to break through and rejoin its regiment. 

As they neared the enemy trail block, some members of the platoon hesitated, wavered. Some crawled back. The moment had come when the platoon either broke and ran or reached into its reservoir of courage and went on. It was up to Booth.

The Sergeant raised himself from the jungle undergrowth and opened up with his Tommy gun, striding slowly forward. He almost fell into a foxhole containing three Japanese. He killed them and went on. The wavering platoon followed, taking courage from its leader.

They fired and inched forward. Finally, Captain George Hess, Edgerton, WI, brought up reinforcements. They slugged it out for half an hour, until some tank destroyers got in. Then the Japanese broke, rolled back into the jungle; the assault company dashed onto the breach, cleared the flanks—the escape road was open.

Booth? He didn't get a scratch.

Missing in action in Leyte Invasion
Captain Harry L. Lusk, United States Army, has been missing in action since November 28 on Leyte, according to a telegram received by his wife, Mrs. Mildred G. Lusk, this city, from the War Department.

Veteran of Buna and other battles in New Guinea, where he was wounded on November 22, a year ago, and decorated with the Purple Heart and the Silver Star, Captain Lusk has been in the Armed Services since October 1941 and in New Guinea since April 1942. 

He entered the service as a reserve officer.

At the time of entering the service, Captain Lusk was an employee of the Union National Bank. He came to the bank, here, on May 1, 1938 from Milwaukee. 

He was an active member of the Junior Chamber of Commerce.

After his promotion to the rank of Captain, after his service in the South Pacific, Captain Lusk was placed in command of Company C of Marshfield.

Capt. Harry Lusk Killed in Action in the Philippines
Was Veteran of Four Major Battles

Captain Harry W. Lusk, who was first reported missing in action, was killed in action November 28, 1944 on Leyte, Philippine Islands.

He was a First Lieutenant in the Officers Reserve when he joined the Wisconsin National Guard Unit, Company C, 128th Infantry, 32nd Division at Camp Livingston, LA and was sent overseas in April 1942.  He was promoted to the rank of Captain in March 1943.

Captain Lusk was in four major battles—Buna (where he was wounded November 22, 1942 and awarded the Silver Star for gallantry in action), Saidor, Aitape, and the Philippine invasion.

A graduate of the University of Wisconsin, he was credit manager of the Union National Bank before entering the service.

He is survived by his wife, Mildred Larson Lusk, and his parents, Mr. and Mrs. James C. Lusk of Harrisburg, PA.

Hold Memorial Service on Leyte for 32nd Veterans

Captain Harry W. Lusk, 831 East Grand Avenue, who gave his life in the battle for liberation of the Philippines, was among the soldiers honored recently in 32nd Division memorial services held at the American Cemetery near Pinamopoan on Leyte Island.

Following prayers by both Protestant and Catholic chaplains, Brigadier General Robert B. McBride, Jr., Division Artillery Commander, placed a wreath at the base of the flagpole with flag flying at half staff, in tribute to the men of the Red Arrow Division who died in the 32nd’s heroic fighting for Leyte.  As a climax to the brief  but impressive ceremony, taps were sounded by a bugler, and riflemen fired three volleys over the graves.

All of the 32nd Division’s men who died on Leyte have been buried in one of three neat, well-kept temporary cemeteries at Carigara, Pinamopoan or Limon.  Each is carefully tended by Filipinos under the supervision of American officers.