Earl P. Mosel

Corporal Earl P. Mosel, 25, 846 First Street, Eau Claire, and Private First Class Virgil H. Leighton, 23, Route 4, Beaver Dam, are with the American Infantry troops now in England undergoing the rigorous training program to ready them for the Allied invasion of the continent.

Wins Infantryman's Badge For Bravery Under Enemy Fire
Among the 200 American Doughboys from the Middle West, who have been awarded the Infantryman's Badge for bravery under enemy fire in France, is Technician Fifth Grade Earl Mosel, whose wife resides at 840 1/2 Chippewa Street.

According to an article in the Chicago Tribune, written by John Thompson, under the dateline With the Ninth Division In France, all the men are from that division which fought in Tunisia and Sicily before making beach head landings in France. There, they played a leading part in the cutting of the Cherbourg Peninsula before helping capture the town itself..

Each man awarded the Infantryman's Badge, one of the latest authorized by the War Department, receives $10 additional pay a month.

Technician Fifth Grade Mosel entered the service on March 18, 1942 and, after receiving training at Camp Wolters, TX and Fort Bragg, NC, left for overseas duty in October 1942. 

He has served in North Africa, Sicily, England, and France. Technician Fifth Grade Mosel is a draftsman in the Infantry. His parents, Mr. and Mrs. P. J. Mosel, live at 846 First Street.

Contributed by World War II Veteran Earl P. Mosel

Following are my comments regarding my three years spent overseas with the 47th Regiment Headquarters Company, Ninth Infantry Division, where I served in S-3 (Operations) and S-2 (Intelligence). Intelligence had to do with enemy positions, strength, etc., and much map work. I still have a number of maps showing routes traveled, bivouac areas, etc.,

The Army classified me as a draftsman, but I was trained in communications, radio, field telephone, and Morse Code.

Our outfit was included in a huge convoy of about 100 ships leaving Newport News, VA for the European Theater of Operations. Most of the convoy was bound for England, but the Ninth Division broke away from the convoy, some units landing (amphibious) in Algeria and the 47th Regiment in Sofi, French Morocco. The landing was carried out in darkness and in landing craft-type boats. This was our unit's first amphibious action, after three weeks at sea in the hold of a troop ship. The main portion of the convoy sailed on to England.

Our first ground action was in a small (Oasis) place called El Guettar in southern Tunisia on the north edge of the Sahara Desert. Here, we met German and Italian troops, moving west, after being defeated by the British in Tabruk. We gave them a final escort as prisoners of war. Our air cover at that time was one squadron of Canadian Spitfires. 

Our final action in Tunisia was to take the city of Bizerte on the Mediterranean Sea.

We were then ordered back to a temporary site south of Oran, Algeria. After several weeks there, we received orders for Sicily, but we did not make the initial landings there but were back-up for other units. The 47th Regiment stopped at the base of Mount Etna.

We were then alerted for standby action in Italy, but the beaches both stabilized, and we were sent to England for action at Normandy.

Regarding my combat Infantryman's Award, I also have the Bronze Star Medal to go with it. I also have a second Bronze Star Award for "meritorious action" while in France. This action involved communication between Division Headquarters and Battalion Headquarters, when an artillery shell tree-burst injured or killed everyone but me in Regimental Headquarters.

My greatest thrill, except seeing my wife, was seeing Boston Harbor fully lighted. We arrived back in the USA after dark.

Following my return to the States, after three years overseas, I became a member of the VFW and the American Legion, where I served as bugler with both Honor Guards for 50 years, performing for military funerals.