Clifford (Cliff) L. Wood

Sergeant Clifford L. Wood, son of Mr. and Mrs. George R. Wood, 515 Starr Avenue, has been in combat in the South Pacific area for the past ten months. 

The week after Pearl Harbor in December 1941, he was sent to Hawaii, where he served for 13 months. 

He was inducted in the Army while attending the teachers college, here, in June 1941 and received his training at Camp Roberts, CA and Fort Lewis, WA.

How world-minded we all are these days! (And I don't mean "worldly" minded!) I doubt that there is any social gathering in the city without the name of far places coming into the conversation, as mothers and wives, fathers and friends tell of news received from boys and girls serving overseas—Iran, India, New Caledonia, the Gilberts, the Marshalls; many places we would have had to look up on the map, and some of which never appeared on maps until the searchlight of war singled them out.

It seems, too, that every man and woman in the Army has a somewhat different job, so complex is modern war.

All parts of our own United States are being drawn closer, as boys from the North train in the South, and vice versa. Texas doesn't seem far, when we think that the next step may be Italy or Australia.

If all this has a broadening effect on the people here at home, how much greater must be the effect on those in service who are spending months, now lengthening into years, in these far-away places!

A letter, which shows how the terror of battle experience can alternate with the fun of a Saturday night dance for a boy in service, is this one recently received by Mr. and Mrs. George R. Wood of Eau Claire from their son, Sergeant Clifford, who has been in the fighting in the South Pacific. Sergeant Clifford Wood received his final training at Fort Lewis, Washington before being sent overseas. On December 20, he wrote his parents from a rest camp:

"My last package from you, containing towels and food, finally arrived. The towels sure came in handy, as they are very hard to get down here. Thanks a lot for everything you have sent and it has all been very nice.

"As yet, I can't tell you where I am, but it is a very nice country where the people are friendly and there are lots of things that are almost like home. However, I can tell you where I have been before coming here. I was on Guadalcanal, where I saw some combat duty and also in the battle for Munda Field, on New Georgia, which was much worse."

(Sergeant Wood enclosed a snapshot of himself and others after the battle.)

"But these things are over now, and it looks as though we'll have it easier for a while, at least.

"I am having some pictures taken of myself and will send one to you. I hope I can get frames but am not sure, as a lot of luxuries are very scarce down here.

"I went to a dance Saturday night and had a good time, except that it was a bit crowded. They play American music down here and have jitterbugs, also.

"I will write again after Christmas and tell you what I did on that day.  Your Loving Son, CLIFF"

Sgt. Clifford Wood Wounded Seriously
Sergeant Clifford L. Wood, 25, son of Mr. and Mrs. George R. Wood, 515 Starr Avenue, was seriously wounded April 6 in a battle on Luzon, near Balette Pass, in the Caraballo Mountains, according to word received by his parents.

He was serving with the 161st Infantry of the 21st Division.

Sergeant Wood entered the service on June 9, 1941 and trained at Camp Roberts, CA and Fort Lewis, WA.

He was sent to Hawaii the week after Pearl Harbor, remaining there 13 months, when he was sent to Guadalcanal. He was with the U.S. Forces which landed on Luzon on January 9, last.